Current:Home > FinanceElon Musk sues OpenAI for choosing profits over 'the benefit of humanity' -VisionFunds
Elon Musk sues OpenAI for choosing profits over 'the benefit of humanity'
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 12:19:47
Elon Musk has sued OpenAI and its CEO Sam Altman, claiming that the company failed to keep its promise of developing AI tools for "the benefit of humanity" over maximizing profits.
Musk helped launch and fund OpenAI in its early years. His lawyers argue that Musk poured time, money and recruiting resources to the AI lab, which was established in 2015, on the condition that it would remain a nonprofit "dedicated to creating safe, open-source AGI for public benefit," referring to artificial general intelligence — the point at which machines surpass the capabilities of the human brain.
The suit, which was filed Thursday in Superior Court in San Francisco, accuses OpenAI, Altman and the company's president Greg Brockman of breaking their agreement with Musk by abandoning those founding principles over the years.
The Tesla CEO is asking the court to order OpenAI, which is now backed by Microsoft, to make its research and technology available to public, as well as prohibit the company's executives and Microsoft from receiving any financial gain from its work.
Musk is also seeking damages, though the amount is unclear. Musk's lawyers say any compensation from the suit will be given to a nonprofit or charity.
OpenAI declined to comment.
Musk's lawsuit scrutinizing OpenAI's founding ethos taps into criticism the company has faced since the release of ChatGPT propelled the company's profile and attracted billions of dollars in outside investment.
OpenAI's structure is unusual for a tech company.
A nonprofit board oversees its for-profit arm, which at times can create tension over how quickly to commercialize products. The at-times dueling sides were on display last year when Altman was abruptly ousted then brought back to the company.
The drama was partially fueled by the fear that OpenAI was sidestepping safety concerns by publicly releasing new AI products too quickly. Altman has denied this.
There have been calls for OpenAI to dissolve its nonprofit side, but the unorthodox structure remains in place.
According to the suit, Altman approached Musk in 2015 out of shared concerns over the risks of AI and specifically, the AI research lab owned by Google known as DeepMind.
After all parties agreed that OpenAI would be nonprofit and open-sourced, Musk contributed more than $44 million to the ChatGPT maker between 2016 and 2020, the suit says.
Musk's lawyers also describe him as "instrumental" to OpenAI's recruiting efforts, including the hiring of Ilya Sutskever, who left Google to be the chief scientist at OpenAI.
In 2018, Musk stepped down as co-chair of OpenAI, though the suit says he continued to contribute to the company and regularly received updates about the company from Altman, Sutskever and Brockman.
The complaint argues that the company went wayward in recent years after decisions to create a for-profit subsidiary, give Microsoft an exclusive license to some of its technology, and keeping secret the internal design of ChatGPT's latest version.
"OpenAI Inc. has been transformed into a closed-source de facto subsidiary of the largest technology company, Microsoft," accoridng to the suit.
OpenAI and Altman have been thrown into turmoil repeatedly since the company's chatbot made its public debut in November 2022.
Musk has been openly part of the backlash. Last year, he told then-Fox News host Tucker Carlson that ChatGPT has a liberal bias, and he planned to provide an alternative.
In July, Musk launched his own AI startup called xAI to create AI tools that "assist humanity in its quest for understanding and knowledge."
Musk's company offers a limited number of users in the U.S. the opportunity to try the prototype and provide feedback, though early access requires a paid subscription to another Musk company, X, formerly known as Twitter.
NPR's Bobby Allyn contributed to this report.
veryGood! (6)
Related
- 'No Good Deed': Who's the killer in the Netflix comedy? And will there be a Season 2?
- Officials describe how gunman killed 5 relatives and set Pennsylvania house on fire
- Biden's top health expert travels to Alabama to hear from IVF families upset by court ruling
- Crystal Kung Minkoff talks 'up-and-down roller coaster' of her eating disorder
- See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
- Helicopter’s thermal imaging camera helps deputies find child in Florida swamp
- These Survivor Secrets Reveal How the Series Managed to Outwit, Outplay, Outlast the Competition
- A key witness in the Holly Bobo murder trial is recanting his testimony, court documents show
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- EAGLEEYE COIN: The Impact of Bitcoin ETFs on the Cryptocurrency Space
Ranking
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- EAGLEEYE COIN: Senator proposes raising starting point for third-party payment networks
- Kids play hockey more skillfully and respectfully than ever, yet rough stuff still exists on the ice
- Actor Buddy Duress Dead at 38
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Toyota recalls over 380,000 Tacoma trucks over increased risk of crash, safety issue
- 2 charged with using New York bodega to steal over $20 million in SNAP benefits
- Justice Department finds problems with violence, gangs and poor conditions in 3 Mississippi prisons
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
American women's cycling team suspended after dressing mechanic as a rider to avoid race disqualification
'Sopranos' star Drea de Matteo says OnlyFans 'saved' her after vaccine stance lost her roles
'Sopranos' star Drea de Matteo says OnlyFans 'saved' her after vaccine stance lost her roles
Mets have visions of grandeur, and a dynasty, with Juan Soto as major catalyst
Starbucks and Workers United agree to resume contract negotiations
Adele Pauses Las Vegas Residency Over Health Concerns
Florida's response to measles outbreak troubles public health experts